By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
September 28, 1946
After World War II ended, there was an increased enrollment of new college students all across the country. Because of this new increase in students, many of the administrators at St. Bonaventure University wanted the school to be among the members of “big time college football.”
The university would hire Hugh Devore to direct its football program. Devore was a former All-American from Notre Dame who also coached at Providence College.
Also, former mayor Fred Forness announced shortly after the war ended that he would donate up to $100,000 to the university to build a new football stadium on campus. This new stadium was planned to be much larger than the Brown Indians’ home at the time—Bradner Stadium in Olean.
It was on this day that the first game was ever played in Forness Stadium. However, Bonaventure lost the game 20-14 against Youngstown.
Forness Stadium was located on the front lawn of the campus near the current location of Hopkins Hall.
Things would later improve for the Brown Indians. Bonaventure defeated Canisius College to win the Little Three Championship a short while after.