By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
November 14, 1947
The St. Bona Venture was St. Bonaventure University’s first student-run campus newspaper. It was founded by Irving Bacon, a professor of English and Latin at Bonaventure.
Before its establishment, The Laurel was Bonaventure’s official student publication. However, The Laurel has always focused more on creative writing and poetry than news.
During World War II, The St. Bona Venture published less copies of its newspaper, and also cut back the amount of pages for each edition.
After the war, the editors of the paper decided a shorter name would work better. It was on this day that the name was changed to what many Bonaventure students and faculty recognize—The Bona Venture.