By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
This Day in Bonaventure History
February 4, 1931
Ironically, the site of the Hickey Memorial Dining Hall used to be the site of the university monastery and chapel. The foundation for the dining hall, named after the university’s 10th president, Fr. Alexander Hickey, was laid in 1930, the one year anniversary of Fr. Hickey’s death.
Many architectural designs of the building have significant religious meaning. For example, the bas-relief plaque above the main entrance symbolizes the Holy Name. A monastery was even still attached to the rear of the dining hall. Also, the nuns on the campus did all the cooking, providing students and faculty with food.
It was on this day that the Hickey was first opened.
Since it was opened, massive facelifts have been completed in 1976, 1989 and 2006. The Rathskellar was added in 1967.
The Hickey now has a mostly cafeteria-like setup, allowing students to walk from station to station to pick out the food they like.