By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
This Day in Bonaventure History
February 13, 1959
The construction of Plassmann Hall was considered a necessity in the 1950s. St. Bonaventure University needed a liberal arts building to house its many classes in the School of Arts & Sciences. So in June 1959, the new building opened to classes. The university chose to name it in honor of Rev. Fr. Thomas Plassmann, who served as university president for 29 years. It cost $1.5 million.
It was designed by a notable Franciscan architect, Br. Cajetan Baumann, O.F.M. Many Franciscan features were incorporated in the building.
The lower floor contains offices for the dean and department chairs. The upper floors contain nearly 30 classrooms. A Starbucks coffee stand is located in the main hallway for students and faculty. Departments that are located in the basement include the classical languages, English, modern languages, philosophy and political science. The basement is also the home to the school of education.
It was on this day that the school formally dedicated the new Plassmann Hall of Liberal Arts.