By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
This Day in Bonaventure History
March 7, 1938
As St. Bonaventure University’s enrollment began to grow, the administration figured it was time to begin expanding the facilities. One of the first ideas was to move the library from Alumni Hall to its own building right in the heart of the campus.
Chester Oakley, the architect of Devereux Hall and the Hickey Memorial Dining Hall, designed the new building. Col. Michael Friedsam provided the funding. Col. Friedsam never attended Bonaventure but donated all his estate when he died to a foundation that gave money to institutions that promoted the betterment of youth.
The groundbreaking began on May 21, 1937, and construction was completed not long after. Once completed, the university held a “Bucket Brigade,” where students and faculty lined up in a human chain and passed every book hand to hand from Alumni Hall to Friedsam. The transfer of books took eight hours. Library service resumed the next day.