By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
This Day in Bonaventure History
April 25, 1859
It was on this day that Fr. Pamfilo da Magliano, O.S.F., marked the beginning of a new Congregation of Franciscan Sisters in the United States by giving to Mary Jane Todd the habit of the Third Order of St. Francis and the name Sister Mary Joseph.
The reception was also the first congregation in the ten-year-old Buffalo Diocese.
In 1861 the first convent was built on the hill across from St. Bonaventure University. By the 1930s, the building became very overcrowded.
So exactly 100 years after the foundation of the Sisters of St. Franciscan of Allegany, the new Motherhouse was built as the new convent.