By Joe Pinter, News Editor, @JPinter93
October 31, 1986
The Veterans Memorial was built to take the place of the WWII memorial. This new monument honored veterans from WWII, theKorean War and the Vietnam War.
It was on this day that the memorial was dedicated.
Maj. Gen. John Henderson Mitchell, a 1956 graduate of St. Bonaventure University, was the dedication speaker. He was a commanding general of the United States forces in West Berlin at the time of the dedication.
Bonaventure, the National Alumni Board and graduates of the ROTC (Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) funded the construction of the memorial. The memorial originally stood between Devereux Hall and the post office.
In 2000, it was moved because of the addition the Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts. Its current location is near the west entrance of the Reilly Center.